About Technology Planning
The New York State Education department requires public school districts to develop a plan in accordance with the Commissioner’s Regulations Part 100.12.
NYSED's Office of Educational Design and Technology collects and reviews key information on district Instructional Technology Plans (ITPs) from school districts every three years. The current plan ends on June 30, 2022. The new 2022-2025 plan is due by June 30, 2022. Through District Instructional Technology Plans, districts address how they are meeting the Educational Technology expectations of the Board of Regents, as articulated in the USNY Statewide Learning Technology Plan.
Districts will identify how they will:
- Develop a strategic vision and goals to support student achievement and engagement through the seamless integration of technology into teaching and learning.
- Provide technology-enhanced, culturally- and linguistically responsive learning environments to support improved teaching and learning;
- Increase equitable access to high-quality digital resources and standards-based, technology-rich learning experiences.
- Provide access to relevant and rigorous professional development to ensure educators and leaders are proficient in the integration of learning technologies.
The Regional Information Centers are designated as the “Technology Plan Reviewers” for district plans before they are submitted to the State for final approval. Each RIC review team has been trained by NYSED and follows a clear consistent protocol for review.
Technology Plans Due to LHRIC for ReviewTechnology Planning & Coordination
Final Technology Plans Due to NYSEDTechnology Planning & Coordination
LHRIC Planning Options
The LHRIC provides support for districts at no cost as well as flexible options to meet a variety of district needs around Technology Planning outlined below:
All Regional Districts (no membership requirements, no charge)
Information and support to implement the minimum requirements of the NYSED regulations.
- Introductory PPT for the plan period 2022-2025
- Introduction to New York Technology Planning for new Technology Administrators Webinar
- Email and phone support up to 1 hour per district
- District plan review cycle inside the NYSED SEDDAS portal
Customized Consulting (examples of support - fee based)
- Detailed review of plan requirements and responses,
- Development of a planning scope and sequence
- Coordination and/or facilitation of committee and/or stakeholder meetings
- Development of goals and action items aligned to district strategic plan and as a continuation of prior plan.
- Benchmark reviews and feedback before the April LHRIC review cycle begins.
Note: Customized work requires a single point of contact in the district who is responsible for submitting the plan to SED and/or implementing the plan with district stakeholders.
- Plan coverage period is July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2025
- 2022-2025 Survey is available in the SEDDAS business portal.(http://www.p12.nysed.gov/seddas/seddashome.html)
- Plans are due to LHRIC for review in the SEDDAS portal no later than April 15, 2022.
- Final district plans approved by the LHRIC review committee must submitted in the SEDDAS portal by July 1, 2022.
Changes / Additions
- Plan coverage period is 2022 – 2025. Builds on prior three-year plan (2018 – 2021). 2021/22 extension granted by SED due to pandemic.
- New questions and focus related to:
- changes in plans as a result of pandemic.
- attainment AND measurement of plan goals.
- goal attainment to ensure equitable learning “all the time, everywhere.”
- how the plan addressed the needs of students experiencing homelessness and/or housing insecurity.
- Additional drop-down choices for target populations aligned with each goal.
- NYSED Guidance Document:
- NYSED Website: http://www.nysed.gov/edtech/2022-2025-itp-resources-districts
- SEDDAS Portal (NYSED Business Portal)
Log in credentials to the portal must be granted by the school district superintendent.: https://portal.nysed.gov/abp
- USNY Technology Plan - http://www.nysed.gov/edtech/usny-technology-plan
- Digital Equity Guidance: https://practices.learningaccelerator.org/guides/digital-equity/introduction
- Prior plans are in the “outbox” in the SEDDAS technology plan section of the portal.
- While access may be granted to other individual(s) for completing plan information, district superintendents are responsible for plan submissions in the portal.
- The SED Guidance document includes all sections and questions the district will be required to answer. Early review of this document by relevant parties will be helpful.
- Some sections may require information from individuals other than the person completing the survey. Allow ample time for collecting this information.
- Include as much stakeholder participation as possible as early as possible in the process (building level, district level, parent, students, other subgroups).
- Build a draft plan outside of portal (Google Docs or MS Word) to ensure no data is lost.
- Align plans to district strategic plan.
- Reach out to peer groups or LHRIC for assistance if you are new to the process.
- Questions related to the SEDDAS monitoring system should be directed to the district superintendent.
- Information about entitling users can be found on the NYSED Technology Planning Website:
LHRIC Technology Plan Review Committee:
- Leslie Accardo
- Mary Lynn Collins
- Kathleen Conley
- Sarah Martabano
- Madalyn Romano
Common Errors to Avoid
Historically, district technology plans have been returned by the review committees or NYSED for a variety of reasons. Most of these are easily avoidable, see below:
- The questions being asked aren’t answered completely or with enough detail.
- Information provided in Sections II, III, IV are not consistently and completely brought forward into Sections V and VI. (e.g., actions and dollars identified in Section IV - Action Plans are not also represented in the Section VI Administrative Management Plan [budget]).
- Links provided from district website and/or district policy portals do not work outside of the district (public facing) or they do not work at all.
- Final information isn’t proofread thoroughly, and Information is lost when cutting and pasting from other documents into portal.
Tech Planning and Evaluation Series
If you have signed up for the Tech Planning Evaluation Series, the schedule is posted below:
December 3: 8am to Noon >> Session 1 – Overview, Planning Basics and Consensus-Building Strategies
December 17: 11am – 3pm >>Session 2 – Measuring the Impact of Current Goals
January 13: 8am to Noon >> Session 3 – Developing a Technology Evaluation Plan
February Date TBD: 11am – 3pm >> Session 4 – Action Planning
About Sun Associates
The Technology Planning and Evaluation Series has been designed by Jeff Sun of Sun Associates, in partnership with the LHRIC Instructional Technology team. Sun Associates provides program evaluation, technical assistance, strategic planning and auditing services to educational organizations, such as schools, districts and states. The company has been a trusted LHRIC partner over the years, and has worked with various local districts to develop evaluation plans, conduct instructional technology evaluations and district audits, and facilitate technology planning committee efforts.
For questions, clarification, or LHRIC consulting services, please contact: