Technology Support Services » Internet Filtering Service
Internet Filtering Service
Lightspeed: The Centralized Internet Filtering System
The LHRIC is proud to be able to offer the centralized Internet filtering system, Lightspeed. The Internet is a wonderful tool for education.
Unfortunately, students too often encounter Internet content that distracts from learning rather than enriching it. Sites promoting pornography, hate, violence, and criminal behavior are now pervasive on the Web. As a result, Internet filtering has become a necessity for schools.
Web filtering is a balancing act between blocking inappropriate content, keeping everyone safe and on track, and giving users access to engaging, educational content.
As a feature of our Collaborative Filter, Lightspeed Systems web filtering ensures that IT gets CIPA-compliant filtering based on a comprehensive education-specific database and granularly customizable policies; teachers and students get access to the sites and tools that enhance education.
Product Features and Benefits:
- Comprehensive and accurate URL database, with daily updates, of more than 1 billion entries grouped into education-specific categories
- Custom policies based on user, IP, group, organizational unit, and domain
- Web zones give teachers the ability to expand or contract Internet access for specific periods
- Lockouts trigger an Internet lockout
- Customizable block pages
- Multiple layers of anonymous proxy detection
- Filtering for thin clients
- Peer-to-peer application and file-type blocking
- Integration with Student Information Systems
- Safe Search
- Ability to accommodate even the heaviest traffic loads, up to 10Gb, without hindering performance
For more information, please contact Bill Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914.592.4203 x3274.